Jul 12, 2022
If you think about it, our masks partially played a role in keeping our faces warm. Now that it’s not mandatory to wear our masks, there’s more skin for the cold to sting. Stepping out of the house feels like stepping into a freezer. BRRR!
A hearty winter soup is almost just as essential as your blanket. Keep cosy this chilly winter and decrease the chances of sniffles by trying out this light, comfort tomato soup from a Bestmed Tempo dietitian, Browen Stokes. Leave your blanket behind, grab your pots and knives, and let’s get cooking!
ROASTED TOMATO SOUP:
- 1kg tomatoes
- 1kg onions, sliced
- 1 punnet fresh basil
- 1 punnet fresh thyme
- ½ cup xylitol
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 3 cans tomato soup
- Juice and rind of 1 orange
- Ground black pepper
- 250ml low-fat milk (optional)
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water and remove their skins.
- Mix the skinless tomatoes (cut into quarters) with the onion, basil and thyme
- Sprinkle with xylitol, and add the canola oil and mix to coat the ingredients
- Roast in a preheated oven at 180°C for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Remove from the oven and add to a large saucepan
- Add 3 cans of tomato soup, and the juice and rind of 1 orange
- Season with salt and pepper, and allow it to boil for 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool
- Blend until smooth
- Add 250ml of low-fat milk for a creamier consistency
While you’re still here, try more of our tasty, healthy recipes on our blog.